Wednesday 5 September 2012

Creating Mandalas


Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning "circle". My interest for mandalas was sparked when reading about Hildegard of Bingen. I discovered that after seeing her visions she often painted them as mandalas. I had no idea what a mandala was, and so did some research on the internet. I learned about the sand mandalas of the Tibetan Buddhist monks and was fascinated. I also discovered that mandalas are used extensively in healing and wholeness ministries. I found many beautiful images and became captivated by the fact that mandalas are at the heart of creation.

Meanwhile, in my own personal journey I was contemplating engaging in an activity that was a little playful and more creative. I considered different arts and crafts, but on discovering mandalas decided to engage with them more deeply.I began playing with mandalas in my own quiet days and reflective moments.

Since discovering mandalas last year, I have now created my own photo mosaic mandala (pictured right) and many sketches in my mandala journal. My creation of mandalas has mirrored my spiritual journey. I have found using mandalas very beneficial as it encourages me to go deeper in my reflections rather than staying with analysis and thinking. Being creative and playful in my art work takes me to a different and deeper place in my meditation and reflection. I have found creating mandalas of great benefit in my own spiritual journey and hope that, through running workshops, others may discover the depth and joy in their creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment